Matatu Operators End Nationwide Strike After Talks With President Ruto
Matatu operators have officially called off their nationwide strike following talks with President William Ruto at State House, Mombasa.
Matatu Owners Association (MOA) Chairperson Albert Karakacha addresses the press at State House, Mombasa, on May 22, 2026. Photo/Courtesy
Public transport operators have sort of officially ended their nationwide strike following discussions with President William Ruto, at State House in Mombasa, on Friday.
The industrial action , which had earlier been paused for seven days so government talks could happen, was then fully withdrawn after another round of talks between sector heads and the President.
Federation of Public Transport Sector (FPTS) Chairperson Edwins Mukabanah made the announcement, saying operators decided to put economic steadiness first, so transport activities can run normally around the country.
“I want to announce to all members that after these new deliberations we have had with the President, the strike that we had suspended has been called off fully,” Mukabanah said.
“We are hoping this takes immediate effect because there is an economy to save,” he added , and then sort of emphasised it again.
Mukabanah also praised the government for pledging reforms and support packages meant to tackle the usual pressure points in the transport business, including plans to bring in electric vehicles and a review of policies tied to insurance and auctioneering.
“We’re looking up to the President to ensure he drives the public transport agenda. We have been promised many things , including electric motor vehicles. We also appreciate the statement on auctioneering and insurance,” he stated.
Matatu Owners Association (MOA) chairperson Albert Karakacha also confirmed that the strike has been called off completely, and urged operators to jump back into services without delay.
“As the transport sector, we are satisfied with what the government has proposed and we will support it. We are not going on strike next week; we are returning to work,” Karakacha said.
Association of Matatu Transport Owners (AMTO) chairperson Kushian Muchiri apologised to Kenyans for the disruptions, saying criminal cliques and political interests had slipped into the protests.
“We apologise for the inconvenience caused. Some goons and political interests infiltrated the demonstrations and people lost property,” Muchiri said.
This announcement came just shortly after President Ruto rolled out more measures meant to shield Kenyans from the ongoing global fuel crisis, including another reduction in diesel prices during the June/July fuel pricing cycle.
The President said diesel prices will drop by Ksh.10 per litre after consultations with players in the transport sector.
Ruto defended the government’s approach to the fuel crunch, noting the situation is global, not something unique to Kenya.
“I know there are those trying to turn this global crisis into politics,” the President said.
“But leadership requires honesty, not political opportunism or populist politics,” he added.
